Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Need Input
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest adding symbol overlay, i.e. S; adding PHG; change comment from wide... to Wn,ILn etc.
See some explanation at http://www.cordeoc.ca/EOC-images3/UI-view32-NewParadigm%20Digi%20Settings%20Feb06.pdf
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on adding PHG when I get a radio out there that will stay.

As for the symbol overlay, I don't understand the need..

It's using a DIGI symbol, it's actually digi'ing packets more reliably, and it won't do RELAY (Even if I think that was a mistake).

Why can't people just be happy it's up? I've gotten some good suggestions here, which I appreciate, and a few emails saying that if I can't get it running right, I shouldn't operate it... And what will they do when I get fed up again and put my equipment into another project?? Fire off emails asking where the heck it went....

It's up, it's working better, and I do plan on making it even better.. Don't worry, be happy...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin at all." -Thumper
KK9H  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Digi standardization Reply with quote

Hi Gene,

I have been following the various posts on this thread for about a week now. Congratulations on getting your digipeater up and running. I put the NS9RC digipeater on the air a few years ago for the North Shore Radio Club to provide coverage in the near north suburban area. I also manage the W9AZ-15 digi on the far south side.

Digipeaters are wonderful APRS assets and there are now standards and practices that help them become even more informative and useful. The letter associated with the digi symbol tells the world what kind of digi you are operating. The PHG information permits many APRS users to see the expected coverage area of your digi and the "W3,ILn" or similar appendage tells everyone about your digipeaters programming and functionality. For an example of what I am talking about, just take a look at the NS9RC data stream on FINDU.com.

I would be delighted to help you create your information stream based on the description of your digipeater if you wish. You can contact me directly at kk9h@earthlink.net. Disregard the anti-spam message, I will see your message if you reference your digi in the subject.

73, Don KK9H
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be picking up the permanent radio Saturday evening, should have it online sunday, then I'll work on the overlay and PHG.

It'll be up to 50 watts, and the tx and rx should work properly (without major adjustments Wink ) Then it's off to my next major project... (Anyone got an old KPC-1, -3, or -4 for sale? Would really prefer a -4)

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so now it's up to 50 watts, got the overlay done, PHG have been added to the beacon.. Think that's about it...

Anything I missed?

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
Robbie  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Gene, sounds like you had a busy weekend..

Since you asked, it appears you didn't set it up for callsing substitution. It seems that is the trend now a days to show how the network is or isn't working and for reference.

I personally have not been following the UI-View32 complete setup for digipeaters, but I don't think it is anything big to get it implimented when you want to tinker with it.. Smile

I am sure the mobiles out and around you are going to be getting into the area network a lot more reliably now, and for them, I thank you for your efforts Gene..

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is setup for substitution.. May need to add a few more aliases.. still need to tinker a bit.. But I was just downstairs and it did seem to be working better.....

Baby steps.. Boy I miss my KPC-3+ Sad

Let me know what else you see it doing wrong and I'll make a list and take it out with me next time I go out there..(Hmmm maybe time for some remote admin software Wink )

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Robbie says about substitution in WIDEn-n. For this purpose WIDEn-n goes in the place of TRACEn-n, and SSn-n (in our case ILn-n) goes in the place of WIDEn-n.
These issues and trapping abusive paths are well explained on http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oJcLRJLiMd4KpQTizBIN3J-ytlmm7ROpB40QYPQ2VOrR1GL0d0TULuCGAmAHzIhcnko-X_GGmxzTFKEEaeegQyt-oriRUHvW/UI-View-digipeater/UI-view-digi_US.htm
If you are subscribed to UI-View Yahoo group.
Number of allowed hoops in WIDEn-n is marked in beacon commentary as W2 or W3 and about digipeating ILn-n in the commentary ILn.
73!
Andy
Robbie  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Interesting.. I do know the KPC3+ performs beautifully as stand alone WIDEn digipeaters Gene.. That probably would be the way to go. UI-View32 also works very well for a WIDEn digipeater, just uses a lot more power than a KPC3+ if you were to want to have a battery backup operation.. That can be thought about later I guess, Smile

Don't wear yourself out over it too quickly, enjoy it.. It has made a big improvement out there.. Wonder if you subscribe to the Yahoo's uiview group as these issues come up a lot and are well worked out...

If I hear of or see anything, I will drop a note here Gene.. 73

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wide in the UITRACE field, as was mentioned in http://www.cordeoc.ca/EOC-images3/UI-view32-NewParadigm%20Digi%20Settings%20Feb06.pdf
and even copied most of the other settings from there too.

I'm going to start saving up for a KPC-3 plus... so I don't have a gazillion settings and cross settings to tinker with to get it right...

With all the troubles I'm having getting it to digi properly I don't feel safe letting it do any internet stuff. I'll wait till I can get a kpc-3+ and set something up that way.

I really want to keep a good digi out here, and am trying hard not to do my usual german reaction and toss the whole project and move on... I wish I could find something west of here and put up another one...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to say that I REALLY REALLY do appreciate all th e help I'm getting from every one.

Do not misconstrue my frustration with myself, and my equipment as a lack of appreciation for all of you guys pointing me in the right direction.

Keep me at it, and I'll get it sooner or later.

Thanks again..

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, if you think about standalone digi, there is nice working TNC-X. Half of price of the KPC-3+. With n-n limits set for UIFLOOD and UITRACE.
KPC-3+ would be needed for more functions as telemetry, wx station etc.
See http://www.tnc-x.com/XDigi.htm

73!
Andy
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB9FX wrote:
Gene, if you think about standalone digi, there is nice working TNC-X. Half of price of the KPC-3+. With n-n limits set for UIFLOOD and UITRACE.
KPC-3+ would be needed for more functions as telemetry, wx station etc.
See http://www.tnc-x.com/XDigi.htm

73!
Andy

Ohhh! Me, a kit, a soldering iron, and 400 fluid ounces of burn cream.. sounds like fun.. But that does look like viable alternative... Not too fancy, looks kinda easy to assemble. I may just try it.

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Equipment update... Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals,

MXQ-15 has had some problems, but I think I have them mostly whipped. The last outage was caused when I upgraded the radio from an Alinco DR-130 50 watt rig, to an Icom IC-2200h 65 watt rig.
In my exhuberance of handling and programming the new Icom (with the computer cable/software) I set the wx alert mode on.. Which, when they tested the weather radios, switched the radio to 162.475 and making my lil old digi go POOF off the maps.
I fixed that last weekend and haven't seen any problems since. But now that I've posted this, it'll find a new way of messing up... I wonder if Mr. Murphy has a callsign?? Rolling Eyes

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Mr. Murphy pays a visit to mxq-15 Reply with quote

Well, now the dang PSU isn't holding it's own anymore. Had to drop power on the radio to the MID setting which, I think, is 10 watts. Seems 65 watts was causing it problems and the radio would shut off when it transmitted.

Hopefully I can find a replacement and be back up to full power before the PSU craps out all together.

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
View previous topic :: Need Input :: View next topic
Jump to: