Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Help for a new "kid"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS on the go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EDEd  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Help for a new "kid" Reply with quote

Greetings,
I am trying to get APRS up and running in my truck. I have my GPS good data to my TinyTrak to my radio on 144.390 I would like to find out why it is not working. Maybe I am out of range or maybe my config is wrong for the TinyTrak. I live on the WI/II border near Antioch/Kenosha etc. Anyone that can lead me in the right direction, I thank you! I know using the TinyTrak my info is only going outbound. I want to make sure you use relay,wide, etc.
Thank you!
Ed
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using RELAY might be a problem - the new standard calls for NOT using RELAY as an alias. You can find more discussion about this here, where the change to the first hop being "WIDE1-1" is discussed.

If you can monitor your mobile from another station local to it, you can verify that the information is being sent... If it isn't, then you can track down why.
KK9H  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your path is: WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2. The old paths of RELAY and WIDE are no longer supported by almost all digipeaters in the Chicago area. The other thing to watch for is to make sure that the audio from your TinyTrak to your transmitter is properly adjusted. Under or over deviation will cause your packets to not be properly decoded.

73, Don KK9H
n9ij  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seeing any APRS data on receive? Dunno your call but I've not seen activity from the Antioch except K9QF for some time.

You should use an unproto of APRS via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 if you will be driving outside the area. This will work almost anywhere in the country.

If you will be remaining in the area use APRS via WIDE1-1,IL2-2 and your posits will stay within the Illinois system.

I should be able to see you if things are set up correctly. K9QF is in the Antioch area as well and may digipeat you as well.

Can't help you on that TNC as I know nothing about it.

Signed
Len Revelle
My Career Goal is to Retire
KC6VVT  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Help request Reply with quote

Eded,

Monitor for good packets coming out when moving, you can use another radio or have a friend monitor 144.390 while you watch your XMIT LED

The sound of the packets should be like all others heard, except a little stronger, perhaps.

Suggest that you update your profile to post your callsign, and then we can check for your call on the home APRS stations.

One of the great Internet tools is checking for your own zipcode, and looking at the following example, except enter your zip, and see if your callsign shows up.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=61370

Regarding the path, suggest you use the path WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 starting out.

Relay is being abandoned except for home APRS stations, and with the great wide area digi coverage in Illinois, probably not needed. And there may not be a RELAY station close to you, and most WIDE do not use RELAY as an alias, now.

Hope this helps!

vy 73

Signed
Pat Ryan KC6VVT
ARRL Illinois Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
ASEC/IL ARRL
P. O. Box 24 e-mail: kc6vvt@arrl.net
Tonica, IL 61370-0024
Monitor 146.52/446.00 FM/local repeaters
APRS KC6VVT-14 on 144.390 pl 100.3
EDEd  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Just an update, I did config my TNC for WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and on occasion I see myself pop up on findu.com. Should I switch to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for better converage?
I am north of Antioch by about 3 miles.
Thanks.

Signed
Ed
KC9GWK
APRS in truck as KC9GWK-9
KK9H  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 will give you two digipeater hops. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will give you three digipeater hops. If you think you need a little more distance to reliably get to an I-Gate so you can be seen on Findu.com, then give WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 a try. It is a perfectly acceptable path.

Welcome to APRS!

73, Don KK9H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS on the go All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Help for a new "kid" :: View next topic
Jump to: