Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Digi plan changes again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Digi plan changes again Reply with quote

Well I see Bob B, Father APRS, has changed the plan again for how digi's should be set up. Has anyone figured out what is going on with this yet? At one time we were to use SSn-N and not Widen-N. Now we are to use Widen-N. I'm very confused here.

If anyone has figuered this out, I'd like to suggest having a meeting so that it could be explained to the rest of us.

I'd also like to hear from Pat KC6VVT, our IL SEC, on how this affects ARES here in the state now.

Jim KE4CON
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when we've caught up with implementing Bob's 5-year-old ideas on a mostly-everywhere basis, he feels the need to "refine things" by changing them completely... Smile

For most digipeaters, "WIDEn-n" and "SSn-n" aren't incompatible, although the KPC3+ digis require that you chose one of them be the "UITRACE" call. Last I heard, Bob doesn't like TRACE because of header bloat, but how else can you be compatible with what the majority of users (especially mobiles) use, and still support the "new paradigm"?
ke4con  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from some of the comments on the APRS sig that others are frustrated and confused as well. I don't think this was handled well. Bob should have confered with other guru's before hand and thought this all through before pushing for it. Although, he's saying that after studying the data that that is why he has changed his mind. So maybe there needed to be some implimentation of his previous line of thinking before he could see if it would actually work?

I see George, W9GWP, has posted about having a meeting. I think that is a very good idea. Maybe someone has some insight into this or knows something that the rest of us does not know. This is like trying to hit a moving target.

Jim
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he's saying that after studying the data that that is why he has changed his mind.

At least he's studying the problem before spouting off. The problem lies in, what data is he studying? Is it local data, which might only apply to Maryland, or FINDU data that provides lots of information, but not necessarily a lot of wisdom about what works at the local level?

What works in the NYC/DC area doesn't necessarily translate well to Upstate New York through Maine, or Arizona, or ???. And the areas where such solutions don't work might be under-represented in data on FINDU, due to the fact that it doesn't make it to a gateway (this is less of a problem now than it was 3 years ago, though!).
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I understand from aprs sig discussion, idea of ##LNK is totally left, just SSn-n should be applied. So digis should work for WIDEn-n and SSn-n, no TRACE any more, nor TRACE, nor TRACEn-n.
One difference for WIDEn-n, that this is traceable path, now; and SSn-n is not traceable path. UIFLOOD is for SSn-n; UITRACE is for WIDEn-n
Used to be UIFLOOD for WIDEn-n, and UITRACE for TRACEn-n

If there is any need for space for APRS meeting, you are welcome to St. Thecla. Location? - look for AB9FX on your APRS map.

73!
Andy
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving WIDEn-n to the functionality of TRACEn-n would fix Vicinity Tracking(tm) quite nicely, since Kantronics TNCs would append their call to the list, rather than replacing the first hop call, which is one of Bob's pet peeves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Digi plan changes again :: View next topic
Jump to: