Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Radar Images in WinAPRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Mac/WinAPRS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC9DBE  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Radar Images in WinAPRS Reply with quote

Having looked at the documention and on several occasions having tried to use radar images from the NWS and failing in WinAPRS I am forced to ask if anyone out there has this functionality running in WinAPRS. I'm currently running WinAPRS 2.7.5. I have downloaded the Geo definitions for NWS sites and have an active connection to the internet aqt the time. I get an invalid file format error - I copied the Geo file from the documentation for WinAPRS and modified it with the Geo data from NWS. Any thoughts.

David C, KC9DBE
Metamora, Woodford, IL
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WinAPRS documentation needs a serious overhaul, by someone who understands the program AND understands how users (new AND experienced) think. Much of the stuff there is only marginally correct or requires knowledge beyond the documentation, and there are a number of features I could only find documented in APRSSIG messages.

The first question is, did you restart WinAPRS after making the changes to the GEO file? WinAPRS only reads its directories on start-up, so changes you make to maps, GEO, or other information files won't take effect until you exit and restart.

There are exceptions; you can update a LABEL file and force its reload through a menu item. LOG and POS files are handled differently, as well; you can change them at any time and reload them, because they're transient in any case.

Another factor is that WinAPRS's TCP functionality seems flaky at times. I stopped using it because I only have internet access here at the office, and 2.7x versions would not reliably connect to the aprserve network. If TCP/IP is screwed up, then the RADAR maps won't work, either.

Try this - visit the NWS radar site, and save the radar map you're interested in by RIGHT clicking on the image and selecting SAVE IMAGE AS (Internet Explorer has a similar option). Put this graphic into your WinAPRS tree, and associate the GEO file with it. See if it will work that way; It may just be that the GEO file isn't quite right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Mac/WinAPRS All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Radar Images in WinAPRS :: View next topic
Jump to: