Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Band opening last night?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Base APRS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB9ONN  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Band opening last night? Reply with quote

I have a very small station here that consists of a PC, KPC3+, 5 watt HT and a 5 foot telescoping antenna in a bedroom on the second floor of my house. Usually, I get only about 3-10 stations in my heard list. 10 if I'm lucky and there is alot of activity in my area.

Last night however, just after midnight, I must've had about 200 stations in my heard list. Some were from upper Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, lower Michigan, Ohio, down state Illinois, and even one from Canada. They just kept coming and coming, non stop. I have the radio set up so I can actually hear the audio and there was not a second in which there was nothing being transmitted by someone. Sounded like a digital mess Smile

Unfortunately, 1 AM was too late for me to be up since I had to get up at 5:30 to go to work, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning and checked my PC, all but a small handful of stations had dissapeared, mostly very local (KG4JAM, ect)

Was this a band opening? I have never seen one happen, but from what they are usually described as, it seemed like the case. I was able to send a message to a few stations and got ack's back mostly on the first try. I know the meteor shower is going on, so maybe that has something to do with it..

Last edited by KB9ONN on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be band opening or IGate opening. If some station is set to send from Inet to RF beacons and maybe more frames it could be such effect. And then freq. could be jammed. Check the path of frames; are there only digis or also TCPIP as the source?
KB9ONN  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, I started recording a log when I noticed the abundance of stations. I played back the log and checked the path of some of the stations (too many to check them all). Not one of them had anything about TCPIP in it. Also, the audio that was going on at the time was not all equally clear, like I would expect if an IGATE was just pumping out everything it heard. I wasn't able to decode all of the packets I could hear, as some were a bit in the static.

Here are some of the packets:

Code:

N9IEW-5>APU25N,WIDE3-1: <<UI>>:
=4058.34N/08531.74W#APRS Relay in Huntington, Indiana {UIV32N}

K35D>BEACON,N9UUR-10*,WIDE2: <UI>:
!4231.86N/08549.51W_KC8LCP Padgham Field, Allegan Co,MI

WD8EJC-10>APZ18,N9UUR-10,WIDE3*: <<UI>>:
!4046.20NU08409.60W#PHG5360/W-R-T-OH Digi Lima, Oh.

N8WKM-11>BEACON,WIDE*,WIDE2,KB8ZGL-10: <UI>:
!4236.48NN08543.48W#PHG7380/Hopkins,MI R,W,T,MI,WX

KE4CON-3>APW261,WIDE3-2: <<UI>>:
=4220.46N\08826.40WWPHG3460/ -ILMCHWOODSTOC-261-<530>

N0WLU-10>APNU19,N9QIP-9,WA9CJN-15,WB9WOZ-15*: <<UI>>:
!4236.32N/09047.92W# (APRS DIGI UIDIGI 1.9B1) 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Base APRS All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Band opening last night? :: View next topic
Jump to: