Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
so what are you guys using as maps for this app?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> UIView
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB9ONN  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: so what are you guys using as maps for this app? Reply with quote

So far, I like UI-View better than WinAPRS, and may get the registered 32 bit version. But what are you guys using for local maps?
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How detailed do you want to get?

While I don't run UI-View, it is my understanding that it can take any bitmap image and turn it into a map, simply by creating a companion file that maps X/Y coordinates in the image to Lat/Long. This means you can make maps out of things like Microsoft Streets and Trips, if you want.
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Precision Mapping Reply with quote

In UI-View you can use BMP, PNG, JPG, GIF or EMF files for static maps with INF file (Lat/Lon). But the best solution for US is the Precision Mapping Software from UnderTow Software http://www.undertowsoftware.com/?AID=9
Zoomable map with your choice of details, underlays etc.
W9GWP  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: UI View Reply with quote

UI View is by far better than WinAPRS. Precision Maps as stated is the way to go. If you have a Kenwood TM D700 mobile, it's awesome with UI-View and Precision Maps.
Combine the maps with the NWS ability of UI-View and you've got a winner. My home station alerts me before my S.A.M.E. radio or my RACES pager for WX watches or Warnings. Very Happy
KC9DBE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question being where can one lay their hands on a licensed/able copy of Precision Maps now that Chicago Mapping has become/sold to Undertow Software?

David C. - KC9DBE
Cazenovia, IL
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC9DBE wrote:
Question being where can one lay their hands on a licensed/able copy of Precision Maps now that Chicago Mapping has become/sold to Undertow Software?

David C. - KC9DBE
Cazenovia, IL

Dave,
Try http://www.undertowsoftware.com to purchase PMap 7.0. It won't presently work with any APRS programs. You need to get a copy of PMap 6.0. If you have obtained a copy of 6.0 from someone, Undertow will let you register it for free as long as you have purchased and registered 7.0.

Bill KC9XG
KC9DBE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try http://www.undertowsoftware.com to purchase PMap 7.0. It won't presently work with any APRS programs. You need to get a copy of PMap 6.0. If you have obtained a copy of 6.0 from someone, Undertow will let you register it for free as long as you have purchased and registered 7.0.

Thanks....they didn't say that. I wrote the tech support who's idea was to order a closeout product - Precision Mapping Quickfinder v5.0 and register that and it would give you the data for v5. Question is how does the OCX handle it - does it use the software or does it go direct against the data. I haven't heard back from that query.

-QuickFinder will not work with the OCX. I cannot believe the number of APRS "experts" who put out bad information. If you are going to use PMap with Ui-View, you need version 6.0, the full version, not QuickFinder. The proper OCX is included with version 6.0 and I think it is included with Ui-View's PMapServer6. You MUST register PMap version 6 with Undertow or Ui-View will NOT let you use PMAP.

-Bill

I know where I can get a copy of v6 - so I like the buy v7 and downgrade the software license better - sooooo Microsoftish (I didn't say that - I must be tired:) ).

David - KC9DBE
n9ij  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update. Pmapserver v7 is now available and works well with UI-View/Precision Mapping from Undertow.
dawbers  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of (us) who love UI-view with PMapserver, you probably already know v.8 is available, and the "patch" if that what you call it is available.

http://www.ui-view.org/uiview32/uivpmap.shtml

BTW, Thanks Bill for your work in support of UI-View.

Dave Harr KF9IO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> UIView All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: so what are you guys using as maps for this app? :: View next topic
Jump to: