Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Weather Radar while mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Weather Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Weather Radar while mobile Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Garmin 376C with an XM Satellite Weather receiver. The basic XM Weather subscription ($30/mo) gives me NWS Base reflectivity, County Tornado, Severe Thunderstorm, Flood and Flash Flood warnings on my GPS display. Also get wind at the surface, local weather reports and forecasts on the display. I also get XM's 24/7 weather audio. This includes any watches or warnings etc, announced as they occur and repeated at intervals.

The 376C display is about 3"by4" and easily readable in daylight. It also has USB and Rs232 ports. While operational, the XM receiver plugs into the USB port. Have not yet connected the RS232 port to the D700 or laptop. Need to make up a cable. I am currently using a Cig Plug / Speaker made by Garmin.

I have the 376C sitting on the dashboard, on a beanbag mount. When mobile, the top line of the display shows the street you are on, or the name of the street you are approaching. When on an Interstate, it shows the next exit. No need to try to read the map, just glance at the top line of the display. Very happy with it so far, except for the cost!

Be interesting to see how this setup works during a Skywarn event. I should get warnings on both the 376C and the D700.

I may upgrade the XM subscription (to $50/mo) to get lightning, and storm cell tracks, but will wait until after a few Skywarn events.

Bill KC9XG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Weather Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Weather Radar while mobile :: View next topic
Jump to: