Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
WIDE2-2 the new WIDE1-1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ka9scf  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: WIDE2-2 the new WIDE1-1? Reply with quote

While mobiling around I found that not everyone supports WIDE1-1. I was referred to this URL: http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/003253.html by one of the more prominent stations not supporting WIDE1-1. Is this something that's being instituted in Northern IL?

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.
KK9H  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of.

73, Don KK9H
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through Bob's message, it seems that it was a tacit acknowledgment that APRS is no longer a primarily over-the-air system, and everything should be done to limit "clutter" on the air. By extension, this also limits its effectiveness for non-internet-connected stations.
Whether this is good or bad depends upon whether or not you're one of those OTA-only stations...

Implementing it as given would mean that my mobile range is severely curtailed, since I only use "wide2-2", and he wants most digis to treat that as one hop. If this becomes universal, I can see that it would encourage a lot of people to make "wide2-2" just the first hop, tagging something else on the end to get around the "fill-in" digis stealing that second hop. While I haven't tested this, putting a fixed alias of "WIDE2-2" in on a Kantronics TNC should take precedence over defining WIDE as a UIDIGI or UITRACE call sign, meaning even the digis that could handle it "properly" will only allow a single hop.

Many of Bob's ideas "fix" a specific problem that is important to him at that particular moment. Any consequences will be dealt with when and if they affect him... Not by reversing the recommendation and rethinking the solution, but by patching something else on top. I spend my work days dealing with people exactly like him.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WIDE2-2 the new WIDE1-1? Reply with quote

ka9scf wrote:
While mobiling around I found that not everyone supports WIDE1-1. I was referred to this URL: http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/003253.html by one of the more prominent stations not supporting WIDE1-1. Is this something that's being instituted in Northern IL?

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.

This is the first I've heard of this, and I can not find any reason to follow suit.

Our network is working fine, and I see no reason to be changing to suit those "back east" to quote part of Bob's post.

My home and wide digi will continue to support wide1-1.

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin at all." -Thumper
KK9H  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is to something that Bob wrote back in January 2005. That's over 5 years ago. With his "New Paradigm" in place, it may be outdated now.

Don
ka9scf  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: WIDE2-2 the new WIDE1-1? Reply with quote

Yeah, I was looking through my APRSSIG and that message was before I subscribed to the list. It almost sounds like NSR without actually calling it that.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: WIDE2-2 the new WIDE1-1? :: View next topic
Jump to: