Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Quiet out there...to the east...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the registration info... Struggled to get the map server working as expected, but it works. Have turn it off, though, because it uses too much CPU for what I'm doing right now...
Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You crunching quantum physics problems over there? Even on my tired ol Sony Vaio laptop it's fairly fast.. And that thing is more tired than I am...
Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin at all." -Thumper
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No quantum physics stuff here (that anyone can prove), just manipulating multiple 40MB text files simultaneously, while trying to run the 16-bit version of UI-View. Did NOT work well.

The 32-bit version is much less hoggish of resources, although I still haven't gotten certain features to work (it will connect to APRS-IS, but won't pull any data from it). But, in general, it has a much higher system load than WinAPRS had. Still thinking about Xastir as the "long term" solution, when I get some time to figure out why it doesn't want to compile one module.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka9vnv wrote:
No quantum physics stuff here (that anyone can prove), just manipulating multiple 40MB text files simultaneously, while trying to run the 16-bit version of UI-View. Did NOT work well.

The 32-bit version is much less hoggish of resources, although I still haven't gotten certain features to work (it will connect to APRS-IS, but won't pull any data from it). But, in general, it has a much higher system load than WinAPRS had. Still thinking about Xastir as the "long term" solution, when I get some time to figure out why it doesn't want to compile one module.

I'll leave the q.p. alone for now... the APRS-IS is connecting to which port? And are you using filters???

I've never used Xastir so I can't say anything about that..

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm using filters, it because UI-View put them in. I simply asked it to update the list of servers (took a few tries before it worked), then selected first the "rotate" server, got nothing, then tried the nearest one. Still nothing visible on the screen, and no apparent net activity.
Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the servers are set to port 10152 thats the full blast you get everything port (might wanna turn ANNOUNCE STATIONS off for that one..

Port 14580 is filtered and if you don't specify a filter when you connect you get nothing. (I use filter m/160 -p/CW*)

14501 (ie: http://indiana.aprs2.net:14501) is for the html status page.

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
Robbie  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Filter Servers, 14580 Reply with quote

Jeff, Gene is right, if you connect to a server and select port 14580 without specifying a "filter" you receive zilch except maybe a "stay alive" ping msg.

You can go to this site and see the javaprssrvr doc and chose many filter types to suit your needs. http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm

That being said, without using the filter port and just hooking up to the aprs-is, is like dumping a fire hydrant hose into a coffee cup, Smile it runneth over very quick..

I also use rotate.aprs2.net:14580 This way, if a server drops out, another server automatically connects to you.

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems is that I am trying to get started with UIV while in the middle of a firestorm of other things going on... so it's been nearly a week since I last tried to put a filter in place. Tonight, I found the "right" box to insert the "right" text to get it to work. The help file doesn't actually mention filters, and doesn't offer up the DOCS/filter.txt file as a suggestion, either. But, such is the disadvantage of a program that has had no active development on its core or documentation in 5 years...

In any case, I should soon have a used D700 in my possession; N9VJW bought a D710 at Dayton, and offered the D700 to me. Still need to get the bike online, though... The GPS I was going to use with it let the smoke out when I tried to power it up with a 5v power regulator instead of batteries, and finding an NMEA GPS isn't as easy as it was a few years ago. Most of the units with maps do not send data out, since you don't "need" to have it elsewhere. Evil or Very Mad

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka9vnv wrote:
finding an NMEA GPS isn't as easy as it was a few years ago. Most of the units with maps do not send data out, since you don't "need" to have it elsewhere. Evil or Very Mad

Does it have to have maps? If not I'd think finding one should be easy.. I know the new GPS's don't know anything about NMEA.. and that stinks.. I have my eMap buried in the IP unit and antenna under the IP top cover. I might be talked into letting my eMap go. Then I could use a hockey puck GPS from Byonics..

Would benefit both of us...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I delayed in responding to this because I was waiting for the arrival of my shiny new Garmin GPS-16X. At $96 delivered (Amazon), it comes with NOTHING except the GPS itself. No documentation (available online), adapters (RJ-45 plug on the end for power and serial), or mounting stuff (3 holes in the bottom for mounting to whatever you want).

Plan for this weekend is to get it running on the bike.

Wanting a display and routing comes from the desire to have only one GPS in the vehicle. But the units with the best screens and routing all have no connectivity for NMEA output. Except for the Avmap units, which are priced at $500 on up. They have serial out, designed for use with radios like the Kenwood D7/700/710, AND serial in, to display APRS objects. Now that I'm getting a D700 in the Jeep, that might be an option...

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get the tracker running on the bike, obviously. Did get the GPS16x tested, and mounted to the TNC, but I still haven't wired it up, in part because I don't have the plate done yet to mount it on the bike.

Of course, it is kind of moot right now, because the local digipeater keeps going down for days, Jim....

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I'm up in Canada fishing right now. But I'll send an email to John and Al and see if they can make it over to the EOC to see what's wrong.

Jim
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing? Canada? What is this, anyway? Rolling Eyes

'preciate it. The screen is VERY empty with the digipeater off-line!

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's back...again... Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my station isn't blind anymore! Shocked

Thanks, mister mystery fisherman! Wink

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View previous topic :: Quiet out there...to the east... :: View next topic
Jump to: