Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Quiet out there...to the east...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Quiet out there...to the east... Reply with quote

What happened out there? K9ESV-whatever is gone... Shocked

Nearest station to the east, to me, is KF9D.... Exclamation

Hey Jeff, where's your digi???Wink

I'm finally stirring up a little traffic out here.. and you all disappear..... Question

(yea, I'm bored)

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin at all." -Thumper
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what's going on with K9ESV; haven't talked with anyone since FM Expo, when they said they were going to be doing some upgrades. Right now, none of my APRS gear is even plugged into power...

Doug and I have talked about putting the digi back up at his house, but that is going to have a problem seeing much south of 173, due to the ridge. Should see to the west pretty well, but the antenna isn't even on the tower yet. Does it count that I picked it up and moved it just a month ago? Very Happy
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka9vnv wrote:
I have no idea what's going on with K9ESV; haven't talked with anyone since FM Expo, when they said they were going to be doing some upgrades. Right now, none of my APRS gear is even plugged into power...

Doug and I have talked about putting the digi back up at his house, but that is going to have a problem seeing much south of 173, due to the ridge. Should see to the west pretty well, but the antenna isn't even on the tower yet. Does it count that I picked it up and moved it just a month ago? Very Happy

That's ok Jeff, N9MXQ-15 sits on my gun safe, waiting patiently for a new home.. Need to come up with a nice antenna, then a decent spot to put it.. The hard part will be the time to put it all up when I decide to...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email out to W9ZE and KB9YMD to see if they can make it over to the county building to see what is going on with the K9ESV digi. If they can't make it then I'll try to get over there. Hopefully it's something simple like rebooting the computer.

Thanks

Jim KE4CON
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a reply from KB9YMD. A problem developed with the radio and a replacement has been obtained. He is working on the interface cables now. Hopefully, the K9ESV digi will be back up soon, barring any visits from Mr Murphy.

Jim
KE4CON
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin better, K9ESV is back on the air, and N9MXQ-15 is back, at least temporarily while K9DRR-10 finds a new home.
Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to liven it up a bit over here... VNV and VNV-1 are back on the air, with VNV-2 in the works. Digging out WORKING cables has been a pain in the rear, though... the TNC-HT cable I found would not transmit. Finally found ONE of the others, and it's working for the base, using a 1/2-wave HT antenna. Have to get cables through the wall for one or more of the base antennas I don't have in the air yet... Rolling Eyes

The GPS I was going to use temporarily on VNV-1 isn't working; won't lock on to any satellites. That means I have to finish a project I started in 2003 - get one or both of my RadioShack Digitravelers working. Preferably both... one is planned for VNV-2, the Goldwing.

Installed UI-View16. Map selections sucked. Built some local maps using Streets And Trips, but I can only get one of them to work for any particular time I run it. Hopefully, the UI-View32 registration will be processed soon.
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed your stations were back on.. Great to see them again...

Yea, maps... I use PA7RHM's map server here with UIView32.. Wouldn't use anything else for UIView maps.. Dunno if it'd work with the 16 version..

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to work out a few things on the "temporary" station lash-up. The HT antenna was too close to the cable TV wiring, so it was causing some interference. I've put a bigger antenna online, away from the CTV, and moved the TNC, radio, and a power supply to where it will reach the coax, and I'll see how the map looks in the morning.

The lack of any zooming, other than "make a more detailed map", is kind of irritating with what I've got so far... Have to look into the alternatives.

What's the story with Win/MacAPRS? Can't find anything recent. The latest version of WinAPRS I could find on the net was 2.7.5, which was 5 versions out of date several years ago, and "winaprs.com" is owned by somebody in China...
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used WinAPRS since I found UIView.. Sorry can't help there...

I have a util that will generate the code to activate UiView32, you just don't get the validation for internet connections to the APRS-IS system..

If you don't want to wait, let me know and I'll dig for it and see if I can find it...Then you can just type in the validation code when you get it from the reg stration service

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait for the registrar to wake up... Wink

The WinAPRS question was more a general call...

I've signed back onto APRSSIG and the Xastir lists, and found that the same discussions are going on, at least on the former... Bob presents an idea, and everyone explains why it would interfere with how the rest of the world works, and is otherwise impractical to implement universally, then Bob argues why it really isn't such a burden, so long as you take into account the benefits he thinks are there COULD be realized, and how they're much more important than whatever everyone else thought was important.

Since it's voice repeaters he's after right now, I'm just glad I spend my RF time on simplex!

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka9vnv wrote:
I can wait for the registrar to wake up... Wink

Quote:
Your request has been accepted. It will be processed within the next 36 hours.

Let's see... 36 hours to find out if it is accepted, then another 36 hours to actually do anything about it, all with "no emails sent, check back here to see if we're done"?!? No wonder someone wrote a generator for "semi-acceptable" codes!

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 5 registrars in the world. 2 US, 2 EU and 1 Oceania.

I think they put that there as a failsafe, I don't remember it taking that long with mine..

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For being in the U.S., they sure fly a very British flag...

The whole thing reminds me of the scene in the movie version of Hitchhikers' Guide... "I'll handle this. I'm British, I know how to queue!"

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late developer/programmer of UI-View was from Britain. So that explains the British Flag.. Shocked

The registration team has been split so as to share the load...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View previous topic :: Quiet out there...to the east... :: View next topic
Jump to: