Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Using PK232 MBX and other older stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wa6tmj  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Using PK232 MBX and other older stuff Reply with quote

Hi Folks!!
I have an AEA PK232MBX TNC can this be used for APRS???
I have not hooked this thing up to a radio since I moved here in 97.
I have looked into the Kenwood TM-D700A radio as a new radio for me.
Seems that APRS could be a nice addition to get going...
Is there any help sheets on how to set up this radio for APRS?
I figure you got to do something when you get it out of the box....

I figured that Packet radio was on the down slope (dead). I listen to 145.01 when I arrived here and found Very low activity there. So I figured it was not worth hooking the 232 box.
Maybe the activity on 144.39 is much higher.. I will listen there to see.
So is the PK232MBD a trash item???
TNX!!!
Clint
Robbie  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

By all means, the PK232 is usable on APRS. And the standard APRS frequency is 144.390..

After saying that, i need to qualify it, if you just want to set up a home station to watch the APRS traffic and track the mobiles around, it is just as good as any TNC..

If you are going to try digipeating as a speciality, then you will need to reconsider.

I am under the imprssion that you just want to watch APRS and and see your's and everyone else as we travel around the city. That's great and welcome to APRS..

There are forums to join to get all your questions on the Kewwods on the Yahoo Group, not sure of the names of them. Also, the D-700 is all you need in your car, except for a GPS unit. You will need a NMEA capable, with RS-232 style output to go into the D-700..

For a base station, I would find any old 2 meter radio and hook it to the PK232. The D-700 belongs in the car, IMHO, Smile I have both the D-7 and the D-700 and several others in the area are using the Kenwoods!

Good luck, and have fun...

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
wa6tmj  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNX for the reply Robbie!
I do have a spare two meter radio on my desk and I'll get the PK232 hooked up again!.

Glad you answered the question on Digipeating! If I get more into it I just get a Kantronics KPC-3!
At least for now I'll see something on the channel 144.39!

Is a digipeater needed in the very north part of Hanover Park just north of Barrington and Irving Park roads???
I will be replacing my vertical 220 G6 on the very top of my tower (50') to a Comet CX333 tri bander..
I'll check the map to see too.
TNX Again!!
Clint
Robbie  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible a "Fill-in" digipeater would help the area, but I think after you get up and going with a base station setup, choose your APRS client software and then observe what is going on around you. No need to worry about that at this time Clint. Get a feel for the APRS network for a while. Enjoy just getting a station setup. Decide if it is going to be a 24/7 operation after a while. Lots of time to figure it all out. Smile

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Using PK232 MBX and other older stuff :: View next topic
Jump to: