Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Getting ready to setup digi-igate in Freeport, IL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC9NVN  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Getting ready to setup digi-igate in Freeport, IL Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm completely new at all this, Gene has given me some advice and said this is a site to ask questions, so here goes...

I'm in Freeport, IL, about 25 miles west of Rockford. There isn't anything out this way that I can see, so I'm going to try.

I've got an old PC in my workshop that I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 and Xastir. Seems to be running albeit slowly but seems to be OK. Since this is my house, I've got a cable connection up almost all of the time, so it only seems logical to setup an igate...

I've got a Icom V8000 and power supply that should work well enough, I hope. Once it warms up a bit, I'll get up on the roof and install an antenna but for now, no RF possible.

What do I need for a TNC? I'm looking at a MFJ1270B on eBay that I think I'll get later. Otherwise I'm heading to the Sterling swap fest Sunday so maybe I can find something there. Otherwise I'm leaning towards a Byonics TinyTrak4 for a TNC. Standard enough to work and get a little help with?

What is involved beyond cabling and some config files in Xastir? Do I need to fiddle with sound levels? Do I need a separate sound card? Or is the built-in one on the motherboard good enough?

So far this seems way too simple so what am I missing?

Thanks!
Norman KC9NVN
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT4 would be a quite adequate TNC for a digipeater, since it will work in stand-alone mode, OR configured to run KISS and let Xastir control the digipeating. Sound card stuff is an exciting concept, because it opens the door to a lot of modes, but it also means hooking the computer up one level closer to the lightning collection system... if you know what I mean. Rolling Eyes

Otherwise, any TNC that offers KISS mode (and most do if they were built after 1995, or was it 1990?). Some have better "ears" than others, as far as decoding packages at the edge of coverage, where you need to have the squelch all the way open. Kantronics TNCs do well for carrier detect on open squelch, due to their software. TNC-2 clones can get confused at times with open squelch, unless they've had a simple hardware modification done to keep noise from being detected as a signal.

If I were buying new right now, though, I'd go with the TT4, because it offers so many options for the cost of a used TNC.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman,

First off, Welcome to the board! Glad you stopped in.. I agree with Jeff, if you can't find a used TNC tomorrow at Sterling (wish I could go too) I'd go with the TT4. It's small size, big options, and support from Byon and the other users on the Yahoo group, make it a great choice.

I look forward to seeing your station evolve...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin at all." -Thumper
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how was Sterling? That was the first hamfest I ever went to, where I bought my "incentive" to get licensed, a Yaesu FT-208R, and won a Heathkit Novice training kit, with code oscillator. I've been planning on going back there, but it's been 14 years... Sad
Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email from Norman, he's still working on it.. just having wireless network problems..
Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
KC9NVN  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I bought a Byonics TT4, loaded the KISS firmware and I think that is ready to go. I'm running Xastir under Ubuntu 9.10 and have a question about that.

In Windows, I can use HyperTerm to talk to the TT4. What is the equivalent in Ubuntu land? I suspect I'll need to talk to the unit at some point during the setup. I've tried to run Minicom and Kermit but can't get them to talk to the TT4. I'm sure there is a config file needed but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Other than getting my affairs arranged and getting the antenna up, should be about ready to see if I can get on RF with this.

then the questions will really start to fly... Smile

Thanks!
Norman
KC9NVN
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xastir should only need to know what serial port it's on.. from there the software does the work.

I'm not familiar with Xastir. so I can't help with the intricacies of the software..

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of terminal programs in the Land of Linux. I've used none of them. The TT4 loader is, of course, a Windows program, so I used Hyperterm until I found out that it wouldn't properly send the binary data to the TT4, and then I made use of the program Byonics recommends. After the KISS software is in it, though, what you use to talk to it doesn't really matter

For Xastir, you need to determine which device the serial port will appear as. The Xastir Wiki is the place to start. Unfortunately, when you think in Windows terms, it's hard to find stuff there. For example, you want to talk to a KISS TNC attached to a serial port; do you want to have the AX.25 daemon talk to it for you, then attach to that in Xastir, or have Xastir manage it directly? Is it a hardware serial port, or one on the USB buss?

If you know the logical address of the serial port (such as /dev/ttyS0 for COM1), it should be relatively simple to set up, using Xastir's Interface Control/Add an interface dialog - select Serial KISS TNC, and fill in the blanks.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
KC9NVN  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like KC9NVN is up and on the air in Freeport! At least I think so, there is so little traffic out here it is hard to tell but I can follow my D7 around and see raw packets on FindU.

Many thanks for all that have offered advice and encouragement, greatly appreciated.

The setup is an Icom V8000, Xastir 1.9.8 running Ubuntu Linux 9.10 with a Byonics Tiny Trak 4 (TT4). I have a copper pipe J-Pole on the roof so I hope that can make it to the Rockford area.

Norman
KC9NVN
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good here Norman..

Quote:

05:46:43R KC9NVN>APX199,KB9WZM-10*,WA9CJN-15*,WIDE2 Port=1 <UI Len=40>:

What I see on Findu is that you don't really reliably hit any one digi most of the time, but you are hitting digi's..

To really test this, disconnect from the internet side for a couple hours and check the raw packet page on findu...This way, all you'll see if your RF paths.

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
KC9NVN  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, will do. I think there is more that I need to do, I don't seem to see my D7 when I'm walking around either. There is a calibrate menu on the TT4 but no instructions that I can find about how to calibrate it.

Thanks for the suggetion,
Norman
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this project?

I drove through Freeport back in November and saw (heard) very little activity on APRS.

Would be great to have coverage out there...

Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
n9mxq  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hoping for activity out that way... Was in Freeport a couple weeks ago and it was awfully silent..
Signed
Gene Young N9MXQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Getting ready to setup digi-igate in Freeport, IL :: View next topic
Jump to: