Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Changes in progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Board Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Changes in progress Reply with quote

In the near future, this board will be changed over to version 3 of phpBB. There are several features that will be lost when I do this, but they have not been used, so it isn't a big problem.

Lost feature: Knowledge Base. The "KB comment" forum is now the Knowledge Base, and the only article in the KB has been moved to message in that forum.

Lost feature: Topic Calendar. This is one I really want to get back, but the phpBBv3 versions out there aren't as easy to use as the v2 one we use, so it isn't going to happen for now.

Lost feature: Photo Album. No one has used this here, and so it won't be missed. There are some options available if it ever becomes an issue, though.

Gained feature: Better "verification" images for registering. The one we're using has done a very good job of keeping spam robots from being able to register and spam the board, but it's also been hard for real people to figure out within the 3 attempts it allows.

There are dozens of other features added, most of which we won't use, but they'll be available.

There is also one thing that will break when this happens. This board currently sends the text of new messages if you subscribe to a forum or a topic. I've added that into the version 3 software, however, the "subscribe to forum" feature does NOT grab the forum subscriptions from version 2, because that wasn't an official feature of v2. If you receive this message via email, it affects you. I will see if I can convert your settings, but... it might need to be manually set the next time you come to the board.

And something I know at least a few of you will appreciate... The Google Adsense ads will move to the bottom of the screen, instead of the side bar!

More information when the conversion occurs. It will be by the end of January, but could come within the week, depending upon how much free time I have.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change to version 3 of phpBB has been delayed. Recently, someone came up with a program to "solve" the confirmation image that version 3 displays to new registrants, and there have been a FLOOD of spam registrations on v3 boards from Russia. The measures we have in place on this v2 board deflect them with no problem; I'm still working on ways to do that on the v3 boards I run.

Until it is resolved to my satisfaction, though, we'll stay with v2 here.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Board Information All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Changes in progress :: View next topic
Jump to: