Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
New Digi In DuPage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N9DKO  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: New Digi In DuPage Reply with quote

hello, everyone. my name is rich, n9dko, located in wheaton, il. i have a digi up and running at this location and i believe i have it configured correctly for a wide area digi. the equipment here is a older Kantronics KAM coupled to a Kenwood TR-7730 (25-watts) into a Cushcraft Ringo Ranger. the base of the antenna is 20'-25' above the ground. for the present i'm using Ui-View32 v 2.03/PMap 7 on my dell laptop although i'm looking to move the Ui-View/PMap and the digi ops to an inexpensive desktop in the near future.

i'd sure like to go one-on-one with an experienced APRS user for a little elmer'ing but for now my initial question is...is my digi filling a gap or is it causing unnecessary traffic on the network? i'm interested in filling a need, not causing QRM. should i leave this configured as a wide digi or would it best serve as a fill-in digi? i seem to be hearing the following APRS stations direct: WB9WOZ-15, K9MOT, KA9QPN-15, WA9ECJ and W9AZ-15.

as i said i'm a relative newbie at this although i did have a packet bulletin board running back in the heyday of packet radio. i've been doing a lot of reading on the 'net but still have lots of questions. virtually all of the articles on the net are wriiten assuming that the reader has some experience with APRS.

looking forward to your comments, suggestions and assistance.

rich, n9dko
KK9H  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: New Du Page Digi Reply with quote

Hello Rich,

Welcome to APRS. I believe that K9MOT is configured as a WIDE1-1 fill-in digi and it is about 12 miles from you. There was another Du Page digi, KA9SCF-15 not too far from you, but I don't see it listed on FINDU.com at the moment. Given that, I think your digi could be configured to handle up to WIDE2-2 paths and be quite useful to your area. If KA9SCF-15 returns to the air, then you might want to change it to a WIDE1-1 fill-in status.

73, Don KK9H
(control op for the NS9RC digi)
N9DKO  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morning, don. ok, great. i'll leave it as is then...a wide2-2 digi. ka9scf-15 left the air a couple of weeks ago as far as i can tell. not sure why. as i said i'm pretty new to this whole thing and still trying to learn. the equipment i'm using is old but it seems to get the job done. is there a way to see how much traffic my station is passing?

rich, n9dko
KK9H  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how to do that with UI-View. The only thing I can think of is to see how often your radio's transmitter gets keyed.

Don
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
Check this link out and see if it is any use to you for seeing who might be using your digi..

http://www.db0anf.de/hamweb/aprsdb/showdata/N9DKO/shdigiusers

Art, N9ZZK
N9DKO  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, art, appreciate the tip.

rich, n9dko
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rick,
Since your using Ui-View for software, there is a terrific add-on available for monitoring your digi in real time. UI-view Path32 was written by Andy, M0CYP. I've attached it the program to this note or it is available on his web site here:

http://welcome.to/uiview

Click on the "Software" tab at the top of the page. Andy has several great Ui-View add-ons available at that site.
73 Art, N9ZZK

upth32554.zip
 Description:
Ui-View32 Path Analyzer

Download
 Filename:  upth32554.zip
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Downloaded:  1898 Time(s)

upth32554.zip
 Description:
Ui-View32 Path Analyzer

Download
 Filename:  upth32554.zip
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Downloaded:  1898 Time(s)

N9DKO  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, art, i'll definitely check it out.

rich, n9dko
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: New Digi In DuPage :: View next topic
Jump to: