Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Newbies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Area Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Newbies Reply with quote

I see quite a few newbies setting paths improperly etc.

It seems they have difficulty finding a reliable source of information for correctly setting up mobiles,D7's, digi's, IGATES etc. Very often they use the same unproto path for all. I see rather modest stations being set up as WIDES. Many of these stations seem to think APRS is ideal for DX messaging. This often results in channel congestion and lost packets.

Would be nice if the NIAN forum could ELMER newbies in Northern Illinois and elsewhere. I would certainly be willing to participate here and at local gatherings.

Bill
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems they have difficulty finding a reliable source of information

Not just newbies, Bill. That's the main reason for the existance of the Questionable Web Page, but you have to know that the resource exists to get to it. I'm hoping that we can use this board to point people towards what they need, as are you.

Now, we just need to arrange some get-togethers... Smile

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka9vnv wrote:
Quote:
It seems they have difficulty finding a reliable source of information

Not just newbies, Bill. That's the main reason for the existance of the Questionable Web Page, but you have to know that the resource exists to get to it. I'm hoping that we can use this board to point people towards what they need, as are you.

Now, we just need to arrange some get-togethers... Smile

There are some newbies in Grundy county (Morris) that have indicated they would like to have some help. They are affiliated with SkyWarn and ARES. They will be contacting me regarding a meeting. Would you be interested in attending too?

Bill
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris is a 1.5 hour drive south of me, but, for a good lunch... Smile

A lot depends upon timing - with that drive, evenings are out, and I have several weekends coming up in August that are already spoken for.
N9WYS  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the guys from the Grundy Co. area, and I was trying to ensure that I was set-up both properly - and not causing a lot of QRM... I tried asking online (Yahoo!Groups lists like APRS and UI-VIEW) but got conflicting answers about configuration. In the end, it all boiled down to "do whatever is protocol in your area..."

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but how do I know what is protocol for the area? Fortunately, Terry - WA9AWO contacted Bill for me, and here I am!!

If someone could prepare a primer sporting the basic unproto strings, settings, etc., necessary for a start-up operator (both mobile and base) that would at least get everyone started off on the right foot. From there, once it is determined what type of station coverage they have, then we could worry about whether they become a WIDE or not, etc...

I would be very interested in a meeting / training class regarding APRS operations. Please keep me in the loop for notifications!

73 de Mark - N9WYS
Minooka, IL
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
For starters check the topic in this forum, APRS Operations, Paths etc. It contains some basic information about paths. Post any questions or comments and Jeff and I will try to help.

Bill
N9WYS  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. I'll have to write down the settings I'm using currently, and bounce them off you guys to make certain I'm "in compliance"... I want to try to be a good operator / good neighbor, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm at work at the moment, so I have no access to either my mobile or home station configurations.

Thanks again!
W9GWP  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lake County Digital Group was formed this year and has already held classes on APRS this past spring. For anyone interested in classes on APRS or any other Digital Mode contact me and I'll help you out with information.
George W9GWP
w9gwp@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Area Get-Togethers All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Newbies :: View next topic
Jump to: