Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Igate ops..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Internet Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Igate ops.. Reply with quote

I am wondering why my QSO internet/internet traffic is being Igated out to RF way up north?? Max digis perhaps???

10:34:02R W9MUF>APS224,W9AZ-15*,WIDE2-1 <UI Len=45>:
}KC9EQM>APU25N,TCPIP,W9MUF*::N9ZZK :ack37
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your traffic is internet to internet, if one of the gates also hears the other station via RF, it will normally gate it. The way that most programs decide this is strictly by whether or not they've heard it on RF "recently", although some programs will ignore heard stations more than some arbitrary number of hops away.
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: More elaboration Reply with quote

Seeing this reply, I see a need to better define the operating conditions of both stations..

Here, N9ZZK is running 5 watts with a path of Wide2-1. Occasionally W9AZ-15 picks me up and digi's me out.

KC9EQM is in Florida, doubt if he was heard direct or thru digi's

With the tight coverage of digi's and Igate capable stations in the area, I am only pointing this out so that perhaps Igating considerations be reviewed and in some cases, the max hops option be throttled back to even zero if needed, making it only simplex in nature. Igates with messaging enabled is a very good thing but it also has the same implications as having to many Widen-n digis set up in a geographical region. Too many of either will cause more QRM then good..

In Ui-View anyway, you can also set the path your Igated traffic is to take. This is another alternative to limit uneeded or unwanted RF into bordering areas.

I would like to see more discussion and coordination on this subject. Encourage any and all responses.
Art, N9ZZK
W9GWP  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: I-Gates Reply with quote

Some of us have seen MUF gating stuff onto RF that has neither party in the USA. We concluded at that time that his I-Gate must be wide open or very selective as to what goes to RF. Since he's not running UIV, I can't figure on how or why it happens. Question Lately, it does seem to have calmed down compared to summer time when what seemed like most of Europe and half of the USA was being gated here. What I saw back in summer of '05 was beacons from other stations outside of the USA being gated onto RF. Can't say I see that now, but I'm not starring at the screen much these days Wink
Seems to me this topic came up last year under a different section here and it related to "wide open I-gates". We had the same problem with a few WI stations that appeared to have incorrect settings in their UIV set up. After a few e-mails, that was fixed.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Internet Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Igate ops.. :: View next topic
Jump to: