Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Email by APRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Internet Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC6VVT  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Email by APRS Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to get an acknowlegement for this type of "one line" email via APRS from here in NIAN range?
Do not know if the gates and servers nearby are allowing this use, or may have to change my path, as out of range.......but here is how it works everywhere else that I have traveled.

==============
Send EMAIL via APRS

You can send internet EMAIL from an APRS station to any email account. This may be of particular interest to mobiles with APRS running, or TH-D7A or TM-D700 radios that can process APRS one-liner formatted messages.

To send email, start the APRS message send window. In the destination field, where you would normally just enter the recipient's callsign, you type in EMAIL, all in caps, as indicated.

In the body of the message, you first type the intended recipient's email address, then leave a blank space, then begin typing the message. When done typing, click on SEND to get the message on its way.

You must be w/i range of an internet gate in order for the message to continue on via the internet. The message is routed by APRSERV to the mail server in New Jersey, where it is reformatted into a internet email message, and then sent.

You should receive an acknowledgement from the New Jersey email server, over the air. If you get this, you can count on your message getting onto the internet, and on its way to the recipient.

==========
Copied from the NWAPRS pages:

NWAPRS serves: Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana

Signed
Pat Ryan KC6VVT
ARRL Illinois Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
ASEC/IL ARRL
P. O. Box 24 e-mail: kc6vvt@arrl.net
Tonica, IL 61370-0024
Monitor 146.52/446.00 FM/local repeaters
APRS KC6VVT-14 on 144.390 pl 100.3
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

Works the way it supposed here from Coal City Pat, check your @ARRL email and you will find thre messages I sent via APRS..
Art, N9ZZK
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Email and APRS Reply with quote

During the past couple days, Email via APRS has been brought up on both the Ui-View reflector and the APRS-Sig. A couple of alternatives were mentioned.

One being an alternative mail server already in place. Instead of entering EMAIL as the receipinat, use EMAIL-LU. Continue using the same format as the orignal server, placing the email address as the fisrts string of text and leave a blank space between the address and the message text.

Another method was just posted yesterday. Very interesting. I haven't tried it yet but here is a link describing concept and use.
http://www.winlink.org/aprslink.htm

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and best to you in the coming New Year!
Art, N9ZZK
AB9FX  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Pete's machine works very well, http://www.aprs-is.net/email.htm
Tested with TH-D7 in Chicago area.
73, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Andy
KC6VVT  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: APRSLink posting Reply with quote

Note that APRSLink requires the I-Gates to allow traffic from KLNK-1 to pass from Internet to VHF Radio so there is two-way communications.

Took me a couple of tries to get the syntax right, and testing again from the fixed station (KC6VVT) and the mobile (KC6VVT-14) so I know if it will work in the emergency.

See APRSLink posted earlier, or
http://www.winlink.org/aprslink.htm
Save a copy with your operations go-kit for reference

Be sure to send out an APRS position beacon first!

vy 73 de Pat

Signed
Pat Ryan KC6VVT
ARRL Illinois Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
ASEC/IL ARRL
P. O. Box 24 e-mail: kc6vvt@arrl.net
Tonica, IL 61370-0024
Monitor 146.52/446.00 FM/local repeaters
APRS KC6VVT-14 on 144.390 pl 100.3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Internet Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Email by APRS :: View next topic
Jump to: