Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
RELAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK9H  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: RELAY vs. WIDE1-1 Reply with quote

I mentioned under the category "Mobile APRS" last month that during my trip to Dayton and back I used a simple WIDE2-2 path on my TinyTrak3. I did this just to see how well it would work under the "New Paradigm". As I reported there, it worked beautifully. On my trip home FINDU.com had a total of 173 posits from my Dayton hotel to my home. Subtracting 10 for pulling off the interstate for lunch, gas, etc., that leaves 163 posits. I have my TT3 set for 2 minute reports at highway speeds, so that means there were 163 x 2 min./posit = 326 minutes of coverage on my trip home. This is almost exactly how long it takes me to get home from Dayton, so I had 100% coverage using a simple WIDE2-2 path. A WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 path would have worked just as well.

I had a similar experience on my Memorial Day weekend trip to Door County, WI and back.

RELAY and WIDE were not needed. WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 are perfectly usuable paths to use in my opinion.

Don
Robbie  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Why WIDE1-1 not good through KA9VNV-15? Reply with quote

I've noticed mobiles in range of KA9VNV-15 and using a path OF WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 gets digipeated, and the packet is no longer digipeated by any other digipeater hearing it from KA9VNV-15.

Is it that they see the KA9VNV-15*,WIDE1,WIDE2-2 and treat it as a "done" packet and needs no further digipeating? How come?

Now, if a mobile goes near VNV-15 with a path of just WIDE2-2 then it is digipeated as KA9VNV-15*,WIDE2-1 and it is immediately picked up by N9IJ-10 and even all the way back into NS9RC or WB9WOZ-15 and finished as KA9VNV-15*,NS9RC*,WIDE2* (Not sure about the asterick after WIDE2), but the point is, what is the sense of honoring WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 and killing it at the first hop of WIDE1.. Is this a flaw or a setting in MYALIAS on some TNC's

KA9VnV-15 in my opinion, is a vital player in our network out to the northwest and the I-90 corridor, which is not being covered very well since the change over.

Robbie

Signed
Robbie, wa9inf
N9ZZK  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Morris, Il. Digi Status Reply with quote

The fill-in digi, KB9SZK, in Morris, Il has terminated support of RELAY effective today, 06/28/05. This fill-in digi now only supports WIDE1-1
N9ZZK
n9ij  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been here for a while so sorry for slow reply. N9IJ-10 has been switched to IL2-2 and WIDE2-2 digi. We are still doing some testing as well.

Though we have been digi'ing WIDE1-1, I am considering turning this off to rely on local WIDE-1-1 feeds instead. George, W9GWP, will be making the change soon and we will monitor to see if this furhter reduces system traffic without killing user access to a wide area digi.

We are trying to get the network in Lake County set up with enough local WIDE-1-1's to provide low powered tracker coverage.
ka9scf  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: K9MOT now responding to WIDE1-1 Reply with quote

Tonight on the way home, K9MOT is responding to WIDE1-1 and K9MOT-10 (the trailor) has stopped as of July 27th. Good news.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: RELAY :: View next topic
Jump to: