Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Quincy digi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NG9R  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Quincy digi Reply with quote

The WIARC has a wide area digi on the air, although there does not seem to be any RF links to the rest of the world. W9AWE-1 is 150 watts ERP at 320' in Quincy, IL. (The antenna has some mechanical damage, so coverage is quite a bit less than it should be). It currently is running UIdigi software in an MFJ1270. Any reports of it's operation would be appreciated and can be sent to ng9r@arrl.net

Currently, there are 2 IGATE stations within reach of the digi, W9MDO in Quincy and NG9R in Camp Point.

I am in the process of installing new software in the MFJ and would appreciate any input on what to change from it's current cinfiguration.

thanks

Danny NG9R
KC6VVT  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: W9AWE-1 reports Reply with quote

Hi Danny NG9R

You and WIARC are doing fine business with this W9AWE-1 wide area digi seen from my APRS station location KC6VVT here.

Your ID and location had been consistantly seen all summer about once per hour during the day - quite a range. Will watch to see how often you appear this fall and winter, too.

Do not know how to advise you on this MFJ TNC settings, but hope you would be able to consider adding to the W9AWE-1 path "via WIDE2-2".

Although this W9AWE-1 digi is in Illinois, but on the border with MO, hope that you can consider ILn-N as an ALTERNATE path for the SSn-N. This would allow this high level digi to have an Illinois section alternate path, yet still serve both MO and IL with the regular WIDEn-N alias.

As an example, ILn-N is programmed by entering UIFLOOD IL,30,ID on a KPC-3+ TNC with the 8.3 firmware, but do not know if this is available in the version of UIdigi software that you have.

Good luck and keep up the fine business.

Signed
Pat Ryan KC6VVT
ARRL Illinois Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
ASEC/IL ARRL
P. O. Box 24 e-mail: kc6vvt@arrl.net
Tonica, IL 61370-0024
Monitor 146.52/446.00 FM/local repeaters
APRS KC6VVT-14 on 144.390 pl 100.3
NG9R  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat, I will see what I can do.

I have been getting a bit of flack, of all things, from our county EC, for using the club's unused DXcluster antenna site for the digi while the club is waiting for a new antenna to get installed at the normal APRS digi site. I cannot understand the aversion of our emergency people to using APRS for something useful. I suppose it is up to me to educate them, but it isn't working very well.

Thanks again, I will see what I can figure out with the MFJ.

NG9R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Quincy digi :: View next topic
Jump to: