Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Defective paths abound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Defective paths abound Reply with quote

I am forever amazed at the paths some people use. Today a mobile D700 came thru with :

K9xxx-9>TQ4P0P,WIDE1-1,WIDE1-3,K9ORP-1,K9ORP-6,K9ORP-1,WX3 <UI R>:

Thankfully, his defective path caused the packet to only go thru one digi.

WIDE1-3 broke the path. But look again, his path includes K9ORP-1 twice. Not sure what is intended with WX3 either. Sent him an email outlining the problems with his path and offered to help etc.

I decided to take a look at the paths in his home area and found that the majority of the station around Peoria, Springfield etc are using paths similar to this:

K9xxx-1>APU25N,WIDE,WIDE,KB9YVN,IGATE

I guess the expectation is that KB9YVN,IGATE will cause KB9YVN to act as an IGATE for K9xxx-1. AFAIK, this path will not provide the desired result. If a station is heard direct (or within 2 hops) of an IGATE, his traffic will be passed, assuming it is a bi-directional IGATE. The addition of KB9YVN will cause KB9VYN to digipeat the packet after both WIDES are used up. This assumes KB9YVN is in fact, a digi. IGATE serves no purpose whatsoever.

I did discover that quite a few stations and digis have now switched to WIDEn-n but just as many are still using RELAY,WIDE. We need to encourage everyone to switch over ASAP.

I did some Google searches for IGATE (used in the path above) and could not come up with a source for this path, or any pages mentioning its use. Just wanted to know who was putting out bad info.

I sent WB4APR an email regarding this, but have not yet had a response.

Bill KC9XG
Bill Diaz  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Defective paths abound Reply with quote

Bill Diaz wrote:
I am forever amazed at the paths some people use.
SNIP

I decided to take a look at the paths in his home area and found that the majority of the station around Peoria, Springfield etc are using paths similar to this:

K9xxx-1>APU25N,WIDE,WIDE,KB9YVN,IGATE

I guess the expectation is that KB9YVN,IGATE will cause KB9YVN to act as an IGATE for K9xxx-1. AFAIK, this path will not provide the desired result. If a station is heard direct (or within 2 hops) of an IGATE, his traffic will be passed, assuming it is a bi-directional IGATE. The addition of KB9YVN will cause KB9VYN to digipeat the packet after both WIDES are used up. This assumes KB9YVN is in fact, a digi. IGATE serves no purpose whatsoever.

SNIP

UPDATE: It seems the above info was incorrect. It seems that KB9YVN,IGATE was added by the igate. KB9YVN's beacon indicates he is using UiView but UiView would add I, rather than IGATE. Not sure why this is happening but appears to be unique to this digi.

Bill

Bill KC9XG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> APRS Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Defective paths abound :: View next topic
Jump to: