Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index Northern Illinois APRS Network
Home discussion group for NIAN

CalendarCalendar   HelpHelp   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar
Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network suggestion Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

As you may know there has been alot of activity on the APRSSIG list concerning Bob B's suggestions on how to fix the APRS network. I've also received an email from W9ZE john Zelz ARES EC for McHenry county with a link to the Illinois Section ARES site where they've said the following

" In the Illinois Section, to prepare our APRS network for the emergency, we shall follow the latest recommended APRS techniques and adopt the method proposed for wide area digipeaters on this National APRS frequency of 144.390 MHz. Much discussion of this has appeared on the APRS special interest group reflector, and is summarized in the WB4APR web pages titled Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network

Henceforth, using these ALOHA procedures and these important changes suggested by WB9APR, all Illinois APRS digipeaters are strongly encouraged to consider an alias of ILn-N. Our UITRACE should be changed from WIDEn-N to ILn-N, so none of the other State n-N constructs or WIDEn-N abuses enter our LAN or can QRM our users. Of more importance, local emergency traffic nets can hit every digi in the state (or ARRL section) if needed with NO DUPES, and with no extra copies and NO QRM to surrounding LANS. And again, this new STATE NETWORK on APRS limits the propogation of abuse and does NOT depend on user settings! "

So my question to the APRS experts in the area, Bill and Jeff, how does Bob's suggestions effect us here in Illinois and what changes if any do we need to make?

The link to the IL Section ARES site is http://www.qsl.net/ares-il/APRS.html

Thanks

Jim KE4CON

Last edited by ke4con on Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network suggestion Reply with quote

Sorry folks,

The subject in my first message should have been 144.39 and not 144.30

Typing too fast I guess. Embarassed

Thanks

Jim KE4CON
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can click the EDIT button on the first message and fix the title if you want... Smile

I've been asked to add the link to the ALOHA information to the Questionable Web Page, but I haven't had time to review it. I was kind of hoping that Pat would drop by and discuss it here, so that everyone would have a greater understanding of it.

In my case, I'm willing to implement the changes at KA9VNV-15 when I know what they are; I've got a MFJ 1270 TNC just waiting for an EEPROM to make it into whatever kind of digipeater we need to have. However, the VNV-15 digi isn't what it used to be, coverage-wise. There is a good possibility that it will be supplimented in the next few months with another digi further north (KD9PK-15), neat the top of the state-line ridge, but that one won't have the "smarts" to do anything that a KPC-3 Plus can't do.
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add one thing...

The proposal to use aliases like IL in place of WIDE has merit for state-specific messaging. However, what about our area, where we want to get both Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois information? If state-specific aliases are fully adopted, a lot of information would stop near the borders... Indiana, for example, wouldn't hear about a storm moving across Walworth County towards McHenry and Lake Counties, thence into Indiana, until it started being reported on the IL net, and then only in those areas that can hear IL digis.

Hopefully, concerns such as this are addressed in the formal proposal.

Signed
Jeff Brenton KA9VNV

---
"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." - Eric Hoffer
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network suggestion Reply with quote

That would be nice to have someone come in and explain it. How about I send a email to Zelz and have him make a formal request to have Pat come to a meeting and explain further. Would you and others be interested in attending if we can get the meeting scheduled? That is an interesting question that you posed about our adjoining states and getting information to and from them. I don't know if that has been addressed, at least I haven't seen that subject mentioned anywhere before. Let me know what you think and then I'll talk to Zelz.

Jim
ka9vnv  
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about I send a email to Zelz and have him make a formal request to have Pat come to a meeting and explain further.

Pat's a member of the message board, but hasn't posted yet. He's been rather busy, from what I can see, so he hasn't been the most instantaneous responder to emails. He must have a life or something... Smile

One of the reasons I'd like Pat to do the explanation here is that it won't "fade away" like a lot of good stuff does on APRSSIG; If you don't know how to search the archives on TAPR, you can have a hell of a time finding ANYTHING, and I don't personally have the patience to wade through the "other stuff" on a live APRSSIG message feed.
ke4con  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know he was a member of the board already. Anyways, I sent a email to Zelz as more of a heads up on this than anything else. So he is now aware that we would like a meeting. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Jim
KC6VVT  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Why IL vs using Wide as an Alias. Reply with quote

Greeting, finally made it in. Thanks for the help getting logged on!

First, IL, or IL2-2 makes a lot more sense than too many WIDES or WIDE2-2.

Inputting an object such as a severe thunderstorm or even a tracked tornado makes more sense than general WX announcements anyone can hear on their weather radio. Real WX from a calibrated WX station hooked to your APRS is always welcome.

So you want to digi into neighboring IN? Then your path would be IL, IN.
However, the best digi path would be via the actual call signs of the digipeaters along the track of the storm.

From here in North Central IL, I can direct an emergency bulletin from KC6VVT via W9MKS-15, W9MKS-10, K9AZ-15, IN, as an example.

Or jump directly onto the 440 MHz backbone to the NWS at ILX in Lincoln with one VHF path hope via IL with a one line message to a live operator, but voice is better.

With DR, or dead reckoning turned on in APRS DOS, a Tornado symbol with the direction and speed entered will continue along that input path until updated or deleted. This summer, I tracked 6 tornados on APRS in one evening, thanks to the caring individuals that posted them accurately.

Be ready for the emergency, learn how to use APRS effectively, and help reduce the QRM.

vy 73 de Pat KC6VVT

Signed
Pat Ryan KC6VVT
ARRL Illinois Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
ASEC/IL ARRL
P. O. Box 24 e-mail: kc6vvt@arrl.net
Tonica, IL 61370-0024
Monitor 146.52/446.00 FM/local repeaters
APRS KC6VVT-14 on 144.390 pl 100.3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northern Illinois APRS Network Forum Index -> Digipeater Operations All times are
Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network suggestion :: View next topic
Jump to: